Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Fabulous (and super delicious) Homemade Bread

A couple months ago I thought I would try my hand at baking my own bread (who doesn't love warm, delicious, homemade carbs?) We don't have a bread machine, so I used my trusty KitchenAid mixer to knead the dough, and it turned out great! I have been making this yummy recipe ever since.


Aaron and I have been trying to reduce the amount of white flour that we eat, so I have started using King Arthur's White Whole Wheat flour, which has all the nutrients of traditional red whole wheat flour, but a milder taste and color, definitely worth a try! I use it for 3 of the 6 cups of flour this recipe calls for.

Here are the ingredients you'll need to make 3 loaves of bread (the original recipe yields 6 loaves, but that is way too many for our household!):

- 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons of active dry yeast
- 2 tablespoons bread flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar
- 1 cup of oats
- 1/4 cup milled flax seed
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 2 1/4 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup of brown sugar (I often add a bit more!)
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil (I tried walnut oil this time since it is better for you)
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 3 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons of vital wheat gluten


Step 1:
In the mixer bowl, combine 1/4 cup warm water, 1 1/2 teaspoons white sugar, 2 tablespoons bread flour, and yeast. Let sit for 5 minutes, it will begin to bubble almost immediately.

Step 2:
Add oats, flax seed, 2 1/4 cups warm water, 1 cup whole wheat flour, salt, brown sugar, and 1/3 cup of oil to the mixing bowl. Mix on low speed with a dough hook for a few minutes. 

Step 3:
Increase the mixer speed slightly (I keep mine on 2), and gradually add the white whole wheat and bread flour, as well as the vital wheat gluten, 1/2 to 1 cup at a time until the dough pulls away from the edge of the bowl (you may not need all 5 additional cups of flour).

However, don't forget to use the mixer shield, or you'll end up with flour everywhere, like this (oops!):


Step 4:
Place the dough in an oiled bowl, turning it over to coat the surface. Cover with a damp towel and let rise in a warm spot for 1 hour. Since it's winter, and there isn't an area in our house above 68°, I learned this little trick: set the oven to 400° for one minute, turn it off, and place the dough inside!

Step 5: 
Do something fun, you have a whole hour! Aaron and I went on a 30 minute hike near our house, and were back with 7 minutes to spare. Check out this lovely view of Pikes Peak!


Step 6:


Take the dough out of the bowl and divide it into 3 pieces. I form one into the shape of my loaf pan, and the other 2 into balls, which I place on a cookie sheet. Let the 3 loaves rise for another hour, or until they have risen a considerable amount.

Step 7: (final step!)
Once the dough has risen, I score the top of the circular loaves with an "X" and the rectangular loaf with a slash. Once that is done, you're ready to bake them! 
Set the oven to 350° and bake for 25-30 minutes, until the tops are browned. 
Let cool on a wire rack.

Ta Da! Fabulously delicious homemade (and healthy) bread! Slap some butter on these guys and you're ready to go. 


2 comments:

  1. This looks DELISH! I have been experimenting recently with making my own bread too...but it doesn't turn out as beautiful as yours!

    PS - I am coveting your mixer!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl!! Good luck in your experimenting :) Definitely try adding wheat gluten, it helps is rise and be airy! xoxo

      Delete